Cam Newton recommended to Patriots by Norv Turner
New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton's former offensive coordinator Norv Turner gave Patriots head coach Bill Belichick a "strong recommendation" to sign Newton in a conversation earlier this offseason, writes Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated.
Turner was Newton's last full-time offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers. “My whole deal is, when Cam was healthy, and we were there with him, we were 6–2," Turner said about the start of the 2018 season. "Just look at the tape—played his a** off. His issue was more health than anything else, and from what I understand, I don’t think these are health issues that he can’t overcome. He’s had the time off now. I think he’ll be great.” Newton was bothered by a shoulder issue over the second half of 2018 and a foot injury suffered in the preseason limited him to just two games last year. If Newton is now healthy, he's expected to beat out Jarrett Stidham for the Patriots' starting job. Adam Schefter of ESPN also reported that the Patriots were the only team to offer Newton a contract.
Cam is the QB10 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our models project him for 3,748.3 passing yards with 26.1 touchdowns and 14.6 interceptions, plus another 392.1 rushing yards and 5.1 touchdowns.
- Saints running back Alvin Kamara played through 'torn' knee in 2019 August 10th, 2020
- Ronald Jones the 'main guy' in Tampa Bay August 9th, 2020
- Tampa Bay's Ke'Shawn Vaughn removed from reserve/COVID-19 list August 9th, 2020
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (hip) activated from active/PUP list August 8th, 2020
- Lions' T.J. Hockenson removed from reserve/COVID-19 list August 8th, 2020
- Washington releases Derrius Guice after domestic-violence incident August 7th, 2020
- Patriots' Mohamed Sanu (ankle) activated off PUP August 4th, 2020
- Pats place Mohamed Sanu (ankle) on active/PUP list August 3rd, 2020
- Pats place Sony Michel (foot) on active/PUP list August 3rd, 2020
- Patriots' Cam Newton will have to win starting QB job July 31st, 2020
- Patrick Chung to be 6th Patriots' opt-out July 28th, 2020
- Patriots' Dont'a Hightower reportedly opting out of 2020 July 28th, 2020