Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways
The Washington Football Team will part ways with quarterback Alex Smith, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Smith has said he still wants to play but Washington wasn't expected to keep him around after signing Taylor Heinicke to a two-year contract. The Jacksonville Jaguars have been mentioned as a potential landing spot because head coach Urban Meyer was Smith's college coach at Utah. The 2020 Comeback Player of the Year will be 37 at the start of next season.
Smith went 5-1 as a starter last season after beginning the year third on Washington's depth chart. He averaged 12.5 FanDuel points and 232.6 passing yards in five complete starts. Among the 35 quarterbacks with 250 dropbacks in 2020, Smith was 32nd in Passing Net Expected Points per dropback.
- Pittsburgh's JuJu Smith-Schuster reportedly seeing 'limited to no outside work' during training camp July 30th, 2021
- Colts' Carson Wentz out indefinitely with foot injury July 30th, 2021
- Belichick: New England's Damien Harris 'can compete for the top role now' July 29th, 2021
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott (shoulder) diagnosed with muscle strain, exits practice early on Wednesday July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Kenyan Drake placed on non-football injury list July 28th, 2021
- Jets' Chris Herndon working with second string July 28th, 2021
- Washington's Curtis Samuel (groin) placed on active/PUP list July 27th, 2021
- J.D. McKissic bulking up for more work in Washington backfield July 19th, 2021
- Washington's Curtis Samuel (groin) not participating in minicamp June 13th, 2021
- Ryan Fitzpatrick signs with Football Team for $10 million March 16th, 2021
- Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways March 1st, 2021
- Football Team's Antonio Gibson (toe) will not require surgery January 10th, 2021