Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways
The Washington Football Team will part ways with quarterback Alex Smith, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Smith has said he still wants to play but Washington wasn't expected to keep him around after signing Taylor Heinicke to a two-year contract. The Jacksonville Jaguars have been mentioned as a potential landing spot because head coach Urban Meyer was Smith's college coach at Utah. The 2020 Comeback Player of the Year will be 37 at the start of next season.
Smith went 5-1 as a starter last season after beginning the year third on Washington's depth chart. He averaged 12.5 FanDuel points and 232.6 passing yards in five complete starts. Among the 35 quarterbacks with 250 dropbacks in 2020, Smith was 32nd in Passing Net Expected Points per dropback.
- Russell Wilson (shoulder) still limited for Broncos October 5th, 2022
- Melvin Gordon (neck) to 'carry load' for Broncos October 4th, 2022
- Dak Prescott (thumb) reportedly out for Cowboys again Week 5 October 4th, 2022
- Jonathan Taylor (ankle) still sidelined Tuesday for Colts October 4th, 2022
- Broncos sign running back Latavius Murray ahead of Week 5 October 3rd, 2022
- Bills' Jamison Crowder (ankle) out indefinitely October 3rd, 2022
- Commanders' Jahan Dotson (hamstring) could miss multiple weeks October 3rd, 2022
- Commanders' Jahan Dotson scores again in Week 2 loss to Lions September 20th, 2022
- Keim: Washington's Logan Thomas (knee) reportedly expected to play in Week 1 September 10th, 2022
- Logan Thomas (knee) questionable for Washington's Week 1 game versus Jaguars September 9th, 2022
- Logan Thomas (knee) limited in Washington's Wednesday practice September 7th, 2022
- Brian Robinson placed on Commanders' reserve/non-football injury list September 1st, 2022