Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways
The Washington Football Team will part ways with quarterback Alex Smith, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Smith has said he still wants to play but Washington wasn't expected to keep him around after signing Taylor Heinicke to a two-year contract. The Jacksonville Jaguars have been mentioned as a potential landing spot because head coach Urban Meyer was Smith's college coach at Utah. The 2020 Comeback Player of the Year will be 37 at the start of next season.
Smith went 5-1 as a starter last season after beginning the year third on Washington's depth chart. He averaged 12.5 FanDuel points and 232.6 passing yards in five complete starts. Among the 35 quarterbacks with 250 dropbacks in 2020, Smith was 32nd in Passing Net Expected Points per dropback.
- Anderson: Giants reportedly sign Kenny Golladay to 4-year, $40 million guaranteed contract March 20th, 2021
- Texans reportedly agree to 1-year contract with Phillip Lindsay March 20th, 2021
- Steelers reportedly resign JuJu Smith-Schuster to 1-year, $8 million deal March 19th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign Will Fuller to 1-year contract March 18th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign running back Malcolm Brown March 16th, 2021
- Ryan Fitzpatrick signs with Football Team for $10 million March 16th, 2021
- Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways March 1st, 2021
- Football Team's Antonio Gibson (toe) will not require surgery January 10th, 2021
- Washington's Taylor Heinecke starting under center on Saturday January 9th, 2021
- Alex Smith (calf) inactive for Washington in Saturday's Wild Card game January 9th, 2021
- Alex Smith (calf) upgraded as Washington prepares for Buccaneers January 7th, 2021